Today was a horrible day. It stormed since Wednesday night and hasn’t stopped yet. Because of this, all we did today was visit one mansion and then have dinner at Ruby Tuesdays.
We chose to see the Chateau-sur-Mer, which is French for castle on the water (see those 2 years of French did pay off I guess, didn’t have to Google that one). Chateau-sur-Mer was built as an Italianate-style villa for China trade merchant William Shepard Wetmore. It was completed in 1852 and was the largest house until Vanderbilt built the Marble House in 1888.
After we got in the car and left we went through this arch and past this house on the grounds that I am guessing was for the workers in the house. The tour guide was pretty bad so we didn’t learn much about this place.
The Chateau-sur-Mer is currently undergoing restoration by the Preservation Society of Newport County and is to be completed this year.
- Last Day of Vacation Today was the last day of vacation. Unfortunately it rained almost all day. We didn't get to finish the cliff walk which stinks because I really wanted to do that. One good thing came out […]
- Vacation – Day 4 Wednesday was a very cloudy day with some rain in the evening. Due to the weather, we decided to go on the tour of the some of Newport's mansions. We visited the Elms and the Marble House […]
- Vacation – Day 7 Today was a pretty good day. We woke up early and rode the ferry to Block Island. Unfortunately there is only one ferry from Newport to Block Island and it arrives there at 11:15 and […]
- Vacation – Day 6 Friday we went kayaking in the morning near Fort Adams. This is the second time we went kayaking. The first time was when we were in California two summers ago. The weather broke and it […]
- Vacation – Day 3 Tuesday was a very hot day. Jamie and I decided to check out the famous Cliff Walk that was located only a few blocks down the road from our hotel. We had no idea that it was 3 1/2 miles […]
- Vacation – Day 2 We woke up a bit too late today, so we made it a beach day. The sun was out and it was very hot, so perfect weather for the beach, not a cloud in the sky. We took the long trek across the […]