As of right now, I would say do not install Windows XP Service Pack 3.
I have experienced several issues with the latest service pack. I had a computer not allow users to login after it was installed and another that would just keep rebooting, which is the most common issue after install. The continuous reboots are mainly with AMD based systems, but it has been found with Intel’s as well. I personally had it happen to me with an Intel, but I have also one successful installation as well.
I have also heard that there are many compatibility issues with the HP pre-loading software. Some anti-virus programs, like ZoneAlarm for example, may show new security risks or threats that aren’t true, it’s all XP SP3.
As always, I recommend never installing anything from Microsoft when it just comes out, let everyone else test it out and find the errors first.
- Windows Update Issues After XP SP3 Install One of my clients installed XP SP3 on his laptop and many things went wrong. His computer would not shut down properly, it would just halt at "Logging Off" and never move until the default […]
- How To Change Your Windows XP Serial Key While at work today I had to change the serial key on one of the computers. I took the computer from an old building in Vermont and moved it to their new location.
When I started it up […]
- My New Computer Last month I gave in to temptation and got some new parts to spiffy up my old computer. It's but running super awesome and I couldn't be happier each time I use it.
I basically only […]
- Windows 8.1 – Enabling AHCI After Installing Windows I recently upgraded to a SSD drive at home but wanted to get the most out of it by switching to AHCI mode in the BIOS. Now I knew if I just made the swap Windows would just freak out and […]
- Windows Server 2003 to 2012 Essentials Migration Error – DFS Replication Service Is Not Running
I had to recently migrate a few customers from Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2012 Essentials, unfortunately the Migration Preparation tool would keep failing on “DFS Replication […]
- Windows 8 Password Recovery How to Change Forgotten Windows 8 Password with Installation Disc
Boot your Windows 8 computer from Windows 8 installation disc. Once the message “Press any key to boot from CD…..” […]