While at work today I had to change the serial key on one of the computers. I took the computer from an old building in Vermont and moved it to their new location.
When I started it up It was getting this nice error message:
Since it’s a three and a half hour drive home and it’s already 7PM, I didn’t want to waste time formatting and reinstalling. The old company used a volume license key but I just wanted to blow that out and use the OEM key that was on the side of the case. It’s the legal key that came with the computer, everything still factory built, not just some spare case.
Here is what you do to change the serial key:
Download the following file from here. Just select your OS (Vista or XP), agree to the terms and hit download.
What is good about this new way of updating the serial number is that it will check the system files for anything that is out of order. This is important because many cracked versions of XP will have hacked system files that will keep important updates from being applied. The old way was a script file that could be run to change the key. The old scripting way can be found here.
Once it is finished it will ask you for the new key.
Enter the key click finish and it will make the change and reboot. Now that the serial number is updated you will no longer receive the warnings from Microsoft, and updates will be properly applied.
- Windows XP Service Pack 3 As of right now, I would say do not install Windows XP Service Pack 3.
I have experienced several issues with the latest service pack. I had a computer not allow users to login after it […]
- Windows 7 Control Panel Canonical Names I recently came across the need for this information so I figured I would post it.
Windows 7 Control Panel Canonical Names
The following canonical names are defined for Control Panel […]
- Windows 8.1 – Enabling AHCI After Installing Windows I recently upgraded to a SSD drive at home but wanted to get the most out of it by switching to AHCI mode in the BIOS. Now I knew if I just made the swap Windows would just freak out and […]
- Windows Server 2003 to 2012 Essentials Migration Error – DFS Replication Service Is Not Running
I had to recently migrate a few customers from Windows Server 2003 to Windows Server 2012 Essentials, unfortunately the Migration Preparation tool would keep failing on “DFS Replication […]
- Windows 8 Password Recovery How to Change Forgotten Windows 8 Password with Installation Disc
Boot your Windows 8 computer from Windows 8 installation disc. Once the message “Press any key to boot from CD…..” […]
- Windows 8 Panoramic Desktop Themes I was recently shown that Windows 8 had some nice panoramic themes for people with multiple monitors. Since I use dual monitors all the time, I figured I would give them a shot. Honestly I […]